Do you remember the winter capsule wardrobe I posted at the beginning of the year?
It was working really great until I got an internship, moved to Munich and my wardrobe needs changed completely.
I went from a very casual student wardrobe to a ‘OMG I’m working for a big company and everyone looks so fancy’ wardrobe within a matter of weeks. Which meant I traded comfy yoga pants and dresses for blouses and dress pants. My HR department is fairly casual compared to other departments but it’s defintiely a different dress code than on campus.
- for this capsule I chose 60 (OMG!) pieces. That sounds like a lot (and it is!) but it covers all my clothing needs. I have fancy pieces for job interviews and business meetings, semi-casual office clothes and casual clothes for the weekends. I should also note that my outfits depend on whether I ride my bike to work or whether I take the subway (which makes wearing maxi skirts manageable).
- some of these pieces are pretty worn out and I’m looking to replace them. When I find a replacement I’ll donate the old piece. There are also a couple classic pieces I’m looking for, like a high-quality trench coat and a white blouse that is not see-through (impossible to find in Germany!). These will be added to the wardrobe if I ever find them.
- some of the basic tops are just for layering and my shirts double as sleep shirts because I usually just but PJ bottoms. If I didn’t count them I’d only have about 50 pieces. Doesn’t sound as bad anymore, right?
- not pictured: clothes worn exclusively at home like PJ bottoms, rain gear, sportswear and two fancy dresses for special occasions. Oh and I also wear underwear like all normal people 😉
- I marked all the items I wear exclusively at the office with one * and all the pieces that are for job interviews/formal client meetings with two **
TOPS: lightweight gray pullover, 3/4 striped top, striped baseball tee, navy v neck, Roots sweater, sheep t-shirt, Lululemon scuba hoodie, navy 3/4 top*, Life is Good “summer starter kit” tee, loose navy tanktop, navy v neck, loose striped top, navy tank, purple tank, striped neutral tank.
MORE TOPS classic fit blue blouse*, charcoal-gray blazer*/**, gray waterfall neck top*/**, light blue striped shirt*, cable sweater (similar style, different color), 3/4 sleeves top*, plaid shirt, light pink waterfall neck**, gray top*, striped tee, jeans jacket, gray tee, navy striped tee, striped linen shirt, 3/4 sleeves cardigan, lacy cotton pullover*, 3/4 striped blouse, lightweight coral pullover.
There are lots of neutral colors in my wardrobe. It makes matching clothes and getting dressed in the morning super quick. You might also notice that there are lots of stripes in my closet. Having lots of tops makes layering very easy. Although it gets pretty warm during the day it is usually rather cold in the morning (around 11°C/in the low 50’s F) when I go to work. Thus my sweaters get lots of wear.
TOPS & BOTTOMS gray merino cardigan*, white tank*, beige maxi skirt, red maxi skirt
These two maxi skirts are kind of my wildcards. I love maxi skirts but I usually just wear them on holidays when I don’t need to drive, ride my bike or walk many stairs. I’ve worn the red one in the office a couple of times and got many compliments for it. And there are so many people out there wearing maxi skirts while driving, chasing toddlers, etc. Maybe I just haven’t figured out how to handle long skirts correctly?
BOTTOMS skinny jeans, navy linen pants*, well-loved jeans, natural chinos*, red chinos, navy dress pants**, floral dress, coral skirt, jeans shorts, beige shorts, navy shorts*, gray shorts.
My bottoms are the pieces of my wardrobe that I’m least content about. My favorite pair of jeans is falling apart and I haven’t found a worthy pair to replace them yet. The linen pants are super comfy but I can only wear them with high heels – which is the opposite of comfy. So they don’t get as much wear as I had hoped they would.
My jeans shorts also need to be replaced by a pair that is more flattering. I bought them right before a vacation 5 (6?) years ago because I was in desperate need of a pair of shorts. But I have failed to replace them with a more flattering pair although I’ve been looking for several years. Finding affordable jeans shorts that aren’t destroyed, faded, high-waisted or having pockets poke out are impossible to find. If you have a recommendation on where to find wearable shorts, please let me know!
SHOES suede pumps*/**, black pumps**, gray suede oxfords*, brown leather flats*, sandals, birkenstock arizona(my slippers that I end up wearing more outside than at home, thus I listed them here), gizeh birks, gray sneakers, toms, minnetonka moccasins, Timberland boat shoes.
I have a confession to make. I love shoes. Especially leather shoes. It’s a rather expensive addiction (though I don’t remember the last time I bought a pair of shoes that was not on sale) but I just can’t help it. When it comes to pretty handbags and shoes I’m a typical woman 😉
Oh speaking of handbags, I’m planning to share my accessories with you once I find the time to take pictures of them.
PS: Please excuse the not-so-perfect photos. I live in a tiny apartment and the only possibility to hang the pieces was in the rather dark hallway, thus the limited amount of daylight and the lack of a wide-angle lens made taking these pictures rather difficult.